Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Buy the ticket, take the ride

  Technology seems funny to me when I really think about it.  It seems to me that in our quest to make our life's easier we have become nothing more than button pushers.
   Since I'm a woodworker, I can best relate to the current state of my profession. Skill it seems is seldom necessary anymore. Need to make a certain joint? Just buy a machine to make that joint. Why then do I need to be there at all ?  What am I really accomplishing ?
  If all we are looking for is a means to an end then what the hell do we do with the rest of our time?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super awesome Shaun, I think this is amazing. I can't do this with power tools and you're knocking it out by hand, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do I think your hand work is amazing, but your thoughts about what you are doing, reflections about the why of it all, are pretty darned great. I think we need more of you in/ on our website-- it is currently too static. Your blog is about the "action" of your craft. Thank you for sharing. Ann Cow

    ReplyDelete