Sunday, February 10, 2013

Like Father, Like Son

  When people learn that I do woodworking for a living I'm usually asked how I got started. There are many reasons I continue to do this craft that I love. There is however only one reason I got started in this craft.
   My Father.
   My small woodworking shop is in many ways inspired by his home shop. A small red bricked one car garage. Hardy enough room to do anything really. Yet he turned out furniture for our house and others with what seemed like ease. I took it for granted that the work he did was just what a man does in his spare time.
   It was not.
   Looking back my dad's passion for woodworking was apart of who he was. Who he is. He was never far from it. I remember evenings watching television and he would have his carving tray in his lap. Long days at work yet still finding time for his own work.
For people like my dad, like me, woodworking isn't a hobby or a job. It is a lifestyle. Its part of are identity.  It shapes us as men.
  Thank you dad.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment